Jarvis follows patterns

Jarvis loves following and continuing patterns. Functionally, he's asking "Is there a pattern here that I could or should be following?"

For example, let's say we opened a document in Jarvis and wrote the following:

1

2

3

4

If we then asked Jarvis to continue writing by hitting the Compose button (or CMD + J), what do you think Jarvis will write next?

Jarvis will be highly likely to recognize and continue the pattern by writing:

5

6

7

8

Preventing Jarvis from repeating himself

Inside of a document, sometimes Jarvis will repeat himself. Often times this happens when starting out before a pattern is set.

Let's look at an example where I type the following and then ask Jarvis to keep writing, by hitting the Compose button (or CMD + J).

Dave Rogenmoser is a very tall man. He is 6'8" tall and rides a stallion to work every day. He lives in Austin, TX with his wife and 3 sons. He once ate the beating heart of a king cobra.

When I hit Compose, Jarvis is asking himself "Based on my instructions, and the text I've been given, what word should I write next in this sequence?"

Jarvis is also asking "Is there a pattern here that I could or should be following?"

In this example, Jarvis would likely think of the following options for how you want him to continue the text:

  1. Repeat: The user wrote a paragraph and wants me to write the same paragraph again.
  2. Continue: The user wants me to continue writing more information about Dave. This looks like a personal bio. Because I don't know exactly who Dave is, I'll start writing information that imitates other personal bios I've read online.
  3. Start New: The user wants me to write another bio about another person imitating the style of bio that's already been written about Dave.

It's likely that you only want one of these, and may be disappointed if Jarvis goes a different route than you expected. By providing more instructions or a clearer pattern to follow, you can greatly increase the chances of Jarvis doing what you want.

Writing the prompt over and over is probably not what we're looking for.

Dave Rogenmoser is a very tall man. He is 6'8" tall and rides a stallion to work every day. He lives in Austin, TX with his wife and 3 sons. He once ate the beating heart of a king cobra.

Dave Rogenmoser is a very tall man. He is 6'8" tall and rides a stallion to work every day. He lives in Austin, TX with his wife and 3 sons. He once ate the beating heart of a king cobra.

Dave Rogenmoser is a very tall man. He is 6'8" tall and rides a stallion to work every day. He lives in Austin, TX with his wife and 3 sons. He once ate the beating heart of a king cobra.

To direct Jarvis to continue writing about Dave, I could frame the next section by writing "Dave's growing up years:"

Dave Rogenmoser is a very tall man. He is 6'8" tall and rides a stallion to work every day. He lives in Austin, TX with his wife and 3 sons. He once ate the beating heart of a king cobra.

Dave's growing up years

Then hit Compose.

This is an example output:

Dave Rogenmoser is a very tall man. He is 6'8" tall and rides a stallion to work every day. He lives in Austin, TX with his wife and 3 sons. He once ate the beating heart of a king cobra.

Dave's growing up years: Dave was born in Springfield, MO. His parents were very tall people...his mother was 6'5" and his father was 6'3". Dave stands at the same height as his parents but is more muscular. He attributes this to "good genes."

Dave's first summer camp: Dave attended Camp Happy Hollow when he was 13. He was supposed to stay for a week, but ended up staying until the end of summer and worked as a junior counselor the following summer.

Dave's first nationally-televised interview: The Dave Rogenmoser Show premiered in 2004. It is currently one of the most popular TV shows in the country, with viewership rates reaching 99.2% (the last remaining 0.8% of viewers are either in a coma or dead).

As you can see, Jarvis clearly understood that I wanted him to write about Dave's growing up years. You can also see the pattern Jarvis is modeling. He's thinking something like "The user wants me to write a section header about Dave's life, and then a few sentences describing it. Over and over. The more times he sees this pattern, the more likely Jarvis is to continue it.

If Jarvis isn't writing the content that you want, ask yourself:

  • What is the pattern Jarvis is trying to follow right now?
  • Can I give more instructions or set a better pattern to direct his outputs?
  • Do I need to give Jarvis more information as input in order for him to write what I'm looking for?
Next up
How to use Templates